Wednesday, August 13, 2014

TRAVEL

Travel is an essential part of my nature. I've been to 18 countries so far and am itching to go to more! I love learning about cultures, customs, trying new foods, checking out unusual bars and places, meeting new people, understanding different perspectives, and going on adventures! I think people may get the wrong impression about travel; that you need to have insane amounts of money to do it. Travel is an attitude, a spirit, it's what defines the adventurer. My first solo trip to Europe in 2012 for 6 weeks left me completely broke. Completely. And I didn't spend money like a maniac, but I also wasn't thrifty with it. I wanted to experience Everything. I stayed in hostels, nice hotels, with new friends, air bnb spots, couch surfed, overnighted on a boat from Greece to Italy. I traveled by plane, foot, train, boat, mo-ped, bicycle, quad, etc… It was about the experience. And though I got home with almost nothing to my name, I would have done it a million times over and spent that much, because I learned more about myself and people and what I was capable of than I had in my entire life.

It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows either. Because I had no plans, I often had those last minute freak outs of "where am I going next and where will I sleep?" I had one experience in Turkey where I briefly thought I was getting kidnapped. But I'm also very smart when I travel. I don't recommend taking a solo trip, especially as a woman, right off the bat, if you haven't traveled much or are not aware of your surroundings. What I love about travel, is that it allows me to venture into the unknown and see what I am really made of. And I have met some of the most incredible and inspiring people along the way, many of whom I'm still amazing friends with today. And travel doesn't mean we need to fly to Europe or Bali. We can adventure just outside of a city we've grown up in and never left, we can take a road trip to another state, it can even be as simple as passing through a part of town we normally wouldn't frequent. 

To me, it's about stepping outside of my comfort zone. Into that place where my insides go topsy-turvy and fear starts creeping in. Because I know that beyond that fear lies my greatest awakening, the thing that builds character or destroys it. I want to know what my limits are, and push beyond those thoughts in my head that say you can't. Well why can't I? "Well you don't have money. Well you're not good enough. Well you're just not cut out for it or that wasn't the hand you were dealt". I say fuck that. I believe we each have a purpose and a calling, and that only we, when we push through the mud and the fear, can truly see the beauty of our dreams take shape. It's not easy. But if it was, I wouldn't appreciate the view :) Much love.
Bahamas

Greece!

Zurich, Switzerland

Il Duomo, Firenze (Florence) Italy

Barcelona the one and only

Barcelona street art

Barcelona

Gaudi Casa Batllo

Barcelona

Absinthe- Bar Marsella Barcelona

La Sagrada Familia, Barcelona

My favorite secret bar in Barcelona

My bestie and travel bud :)

On the Road to Tibidabo, Barcelona (noticing a pattern here? haha)

2 comments:

  1. Maiara,
    You have a really nice writing, very easy to read, even for a non-English speaking like the Frenchie I am. Could you put legends for your pictures? The when/where at least, the mood of the place, ie why did you step into the church, did you wait for the right light for the pictures, etc...
    I look forward for more posts as they make me travel a little by my desk, thanks to you.
    Bruno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete