Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Bavaria and Tegernsee Lake


Welcome to one of the most beautiful and magical locations I have ever journeyed to. Welcome to Rottach-Egern and Tegernsee Lake. Rottach-Egern is an hour and a half south of Munich, both of which sit comfortably inside the free state of Bavaria, in the southern region of Germany. Bavaria is the largest state by area. What makes Bavaria so unique is their culture. They take pride in their traditions, the people here are warm, friendly, have an easy going attitude, and love their beer. Their beer kicks ass, especially weissbier. It's also not uncommon to see people of all ages in traditional dress called Tracht; for females the Dirndl (see photo below) and Lederhosen for males. It's becoming cooler to do so and you see young adults and teenagers wearing them too. It's a trip, I felt like I had gone back in time!

We  had the opportunity to experience some incredible Bavarian summer festivals. We ate sausage, pretzels, fish on a stick, and wienerschnitzel (which I always thought was sausage but is actually veal-it's delicious). We tried incredible fresh milk and cheeses, and visited beer gardens and summer lake festivals. At one festival in particular, this group of men were playing these massive wooden horns called alphorns or alpenhorns (see photo below). The sound emanating from the horns was low, bassy, and hypnotizing. The festival started on one side of the town and continued all the way to the end of town. At one point, a group of 10 young men in lederhosen began a choreographed traditional "whipcracking". It was one of the strangest and coolest things I have ever seen!! They used whips to whip the air in unison from rooftops and picnic tables where people sat eating. If you were unlucky enough to get into their line of fire, you got whipped too! I definitely got whipped once or twice as I was passing them haha. The festival ended with an incredible firework show over the lake to swelling violin music. Um. Was I in cultural dream heaven? Yes. I couldn't soak everything in fast enough.

One day we took a cable car to the top of Wallberg Mountain in the Bavarian alps. I fell head over heels in love. I looked across the alps with the chapel in the distance and heard the sound of the bells clanging around the necks of beautiful chestnut colored cows. I felt like I was standing inside of a storybook. I half expected the Sound of Music to start playing. I took a moment seated by the chapel by myself to really take in my surroundings and soak in every moment. We never know when we'll return to a certain spot. I like to do this often. It reminds me I'm alive and fortunate to be breathing. So if you get the chance and ever find yourself in Germany, in Munich, take a trip down to Tegernsee Lake and unwind. Have a beer at the local brewery. Eat some pretzels. Gain some weight. Jump in the lake. Jog around it. Watch people play volleyball. Relax!

It's very different from summer to winter, so I'd plan accordingly :) If you want to experience a white wonderland, go in the winter, if you want a beautiful relaxing vacation, go in the summer! Also, if you have time, go to Neuschwanstein Castle, it's the castle Walt Disney modeled the infamous Disney Castle after!
                                                       
Tegernsee Lake: Beautiful chapel in the distance


   
Our guide in traditional Dirndl <3

Me, the beautiful Brit, and her awesome mom Sally!

Having a little too much fun by the lake. Liz Stanton and Brit Miller

Marching band in traditional Lederhosen walking through the town streets

Enjoying a glass of wine as the men play the alphorn/alpenhorn behind me

Two dancers on stilts dancing to a Bavarian live folk band!

Tegernsee Lake. The whipcrackers stood on this rooftop to the right! 
Traditional Dirndl!

At the Dirndl shop with the ladies and master seamstresses:)

Wallberg Mountain

Chapel at Wallberg Mountain where I sat and reflected <3

I met some awesome people, learned a lot, ate a ton, and created incredible memories. I find that some of my favorite places on earth are places I never would have gone to on my own. Danke (thank you) David, Laura, and @LizMStanton, and thank you ATI!  Auf Wiedersehen!  

For more info on Rottach-Egern visit http://en.tegernsee.com !

2 comments: